Texas Lutheran University, a Hispanic Serving Institution and accredited university affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), invites applications for the Campus Pastor position to begin summer 2020.
This position will provide leadership for TLU’s stated mission of being a community of faith and a community of learning. The community, by definition, involves the whole campus (students, faculty, and staff) and the whole person (spiritual, emotional, intellectual, and physical). This position will provide spiritual and educational leadership through planning and directing programs and activities related to ministry and the promotion of the University’s mission and identity.
- Master of Divinity (M.Div.) or related seminary degree.
- An ordained Minister of Word and Sacrament in good standing and rostered with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
- Minimum three to five years of ministry experience.
- Serve as a visionary leader in assessing spiritual needs of Texas Lutheran University and formulating strategic goals and plans for program advancement.
- Act as a steward of the University values, vision, and mission, as articulated through the institutional strategic plan and Rooted and Open: The Common Calling of Network of ELCA Colleges and Universities.
- Considerable independent judgement is required to work independently and make decisions based on precedent and university policy.
- Clear understanding of ministry in a college setting. Specifically, understanding the needs of current Generation Z students.
- Familiarity with the traditions and values of Lutheran higher education.
- Familiarity with Hispanic Serving Institutions that serve a growing Hispanic and African American populations.
- Ability to work in a community of diverse denominations and faith; be culturally agile and dedicated to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Excellent communication skills, both in writing and orally.
- Excellent organizational skills, both for own work and for the extensive Campus Ministry Program.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) language skills valued.
- Ability to work cooperatively, collaboratively, and energetically; and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
For more information regarding the position, please click here.
Texas Lutheran University, a Hispanic Serving Institution, seeks applicants who are eager to join a culturally diverse community of learning. Our student body, reflective of the State of Texas, is well over 40% Hispanic, with a strong African American presence as well. Candidates who have professional skills, experience, and/or the willingness to engage in spiritual and educational leadership, collaborative partnerships, and community service with our diverse student body are particularly sought. Salary is competitive with excellent benefits. For more information, consult our web site at www.tlu.edu.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made. For consideration, interested applicants should submit the following:
- A TLU application
- Cover letter with resume or curriculum vitae
- Copy of a delivered sermon including the context and audience (written, audio, or video)
- One-page professional philosophy /approach to the applicant’s vocation to serve as a Campus Pastor at Texas Lutheran University.
Please submit application materials to:
Texas Lutheran University
1000 W. Court Street
Seguin, Texas 78155
Fax: (830) 372-6409
Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until an appointment is made. Texas Lutheran University has been recognized as a “Great College to Work For” by the Chronicle of Higher Education. The University is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and also is subject to the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA). Texas Lutheran University is committed to diversity.