TLU COVID-19 Update: June 18, 2020
June 18, 2020
Today’s update provides important details related to the limited reopening of our campus in July. This plan has been reviewed and approved by the COVID-19 Planning and Response Committee and incorporates essential protocols for moving forward safely. Please note that our campus updates will now be provided at least once a week going forward, as we have new information to share. And, please be aware that an extensive campus plan for August is being finalized by the five COVID-19 work teams and Planning and Response Committee. Those plans will be ready to share with the campus community in the coming weeks.
To get a sense of the plans being made, faculty, staff, and students are invited to join a Livestream conversation with President Cottrell and Kristi Quiros, VP for Student Life and Learning and chair of our COVID-19 Health Safety Team, on Tuesday, June 23, from 2 to 2:45 p.m. The link is: https://livestream.com/txlutheran/events/9176466
Campus Plan For July 2020
- We are offering 25 classes in Summer B. Of the 25 classes, 8 are face-to-face and 2 are labs. The face-to-face classes will be held in the following buildings: Tschoepe, Krost/Moody/AT&T Science, and the Athletic Training Lab.
- Our 19 Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing students that started virtual classes on June 1 will be using the Nursing labs and classrooms on campus beginning June 29. TLU’s ABSN director, Patricia Fichter-Patrick, has worked with the COVID-19 Operations team to coordinate cleaning procedures and PPE for students.
- Starting Monday, July 6, the Alumni Student Center (8 am to 5 pm daily) and the TLU Bookstore (8:30 am to 4:30 pm M-F) will be available to students who are registered for Summer B classes. The Tschoepe 103 computer lab also will be available for Summer B students except for Mondays and Thursdays at 10:15 am and 1 pm when it will be used for a class.
- One or two of the library staff will be available for meetings, preferably via Zoom, for limited hours a day by appointment only. Library staff are also available via phone or email (no appointment needed). The library is closed to the public. If students, faculty, or staff need to enter the library, they need to make an appointment with library staff to make arrangements. Students, faculty, or staff who need to meet with IT, must contact email@example.com to make arrangements to meet an IT staff member by the back door of the library. In all situations, wearing masks, plus gloves if needed, and practicing social distancing are required before entering the library.
Health & Safety Measures/Protocols
- Students, faculty, and staff are required to wear face masks in campus buildings unless you are alone in your office. TLU’s mask-wearing guidance is consistent with the CDC which makes clear that masks and social distancing measures are very effective in limiting the spread of COVID-19. Even though few students, faculty, and staff will be on campus in July, we ask you to:
- Always have a mask with you when you are on campus.
- Take your mask with you anytime you leave your office so that you can put it on if you are unable to social distance.
- Employees on our grounds crew are not expected to wear masks while working outside.
Housing and Residence Halls
- Residence halls will be open only for approved emergency requests and on a limited basis for students approved for internship or research work being done for credit.
Campus Meetings and Events
- A limited number of events will be held on campus, all of which will require social distancing, mask-wearing, and following all other CDC guidelines.
- Meeting and events on campus will be limited to 50 or fewer people.
- All events will be spaced apart to allow for extensive cleaning after each event.
- External groups will sign a contract agreeing to follow all safety protocols required by TLU.
- Large-scale events, such as Bulldog Basics, will be held virtually. There will be no overnight summer camps. Day camps will be allowed, with strict guidelines in place.
- All athletic facilities on campus are closed except for one-on-one lessons or instruction. The Grossman Fitness Center and Mabee Pool also remain closed.
Employee Remote Work Plan
- An additional number of employees will return to work on campus, as determined by individual vice presidents who will communicate plans directly to employees in their areas. As the campus experiences more activity, we will ensure that employees on the front line of cleaning and preparing the campus are provided with appropriate personal protection equipment.
Employees Working on Campus
- Most meetings will be virtual/Zoom.
- Social distancing will be consistently utilized.
- Masks will be worn anytime there is contact with another person on campus.
- No office space will be shared
Filter By Topic
- All News
- TLU Stories
- Events News
- Torch Online